Budgeting for the present. Planning for the future.
As Finance Commissioner for the City of Saratoga Springs since 2012, Michele Madigan has used her leadership experience, enthusiasm and skills to serve the city and its citizens.
During her four terms as Finance Commissioner, Michele Madigan has:
- Kept taxes stable through seven annual budget cycles
- Maintained AA+ bond rating for Saratoga Springs
- Established reserve funds for retirement, buildings and infrastructure projects
- Improved and revised City website, with the Times Union newspaper recently citing Saratoga Springs as having leading practices in transparency in government
- Established Smart City Commission and road map, pulling together educational, business, non-profit and civic leaders to collaborate on leading technology and energy practices
- Oversaw development of 2 megawatt Spa Solar Park on Weibel Avenue to control City energy expenditures, as well as pushing for other leading energy initiatives
- Created partnership with New York State to fence in local dog park on Crescent Avenue to improve safety
- Initiated setting aside two city-owned downtown parcels for affordable housing built by Habitat for Humanity
Prior to becoming the Saratoga Springs Finance Commissioner, Michele Madigan’s professional experience was distinctive and relevant to the office. She managed budgets in both the private and public sectors and developed extensive project management, personnel management, and leadership skills:
- At the NYS Small Business Development Center (NYS SBDC) in Albany, Michele created a research and resource center to serve small business owners in New York State. Following this, she created a national SBDC Research Network after writing the winning grant proposal in response to a RFP from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). As the Director of these efforts, Michele managed two budgets, a staff of 6 professionals and interns.
- At Heller Financial (a $1 billion commercial lender now a subsidiary of GE Capital), Michele created a library and knowledge center.
- Managed a staff of 7 professionals and paraprofessionals and oversaw an annual budget of several million dollars.
- Worked with employees at all levels including high-level projects with the CFO, CEO, General Counsel, CIO, SVP of Marketing and Communications, and the heads of various business units.
- Instrumental in the development of the corporate internet and intranet, working with the IT department, including significant input into the on-line marketing strategy, database and content management.
- Within various entities in New York State, Illinois, and New Hampshire, Michele served in many capacities related to knowledge management and research. She served on the Budget and Finance Committee of the Illinois Chapter of the Special Libraries Association, the Legislative Committee of the New York Library Association, and worked as a reference librarian at the Sage Colleges and at Southern New Hampshire University, for the New York State Library, and the New York Assembly Information Center.
Michele is a native of upstate New York, a married mother of two, and a member of the Saratoga Springs Democratic Committee. She holds a Master of Library and Information Science degree from the University at Albany, State University of New York, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from the State University of New York College at Plattsburgh.
PLEASE REGISTER & VOTE
New York Primary is Tuesday, June 25
Election Day is Tuesday, November 5
Polls open 6 am - 9 pm
Election Day is Tuesday, November 7
Polls open: 6am - 9pm
Call the Board of Elections to find out your polling place:
Receive Campaign Updates